Do you know a student (18 years or older) who is a leader—both in and outside the school walls—and has a desire to make a difference in the world? Are you that student?
Apply to be a member of the Chick-fil-A Fellows Class of 2020! Applications are open through now through March 1, 2019.*
Operated by the Chick-fil-A Foundation, the Chick-fil-A Fellows Program equips students with Chick-fil-A leadership principles to lead themselves and impact others in their future careers, in their communities and beyond. We will accept 30 students to the 2020 class of Fellows.
Here’s what the program entails:
- Mandatory three-day kick-off experience in Atlanta at the Chick-fil-A Corporate Support Center
- Monthly leadership lessons and sync ups with a Chick-fil-A mentor, every 4-6 weeks
- Quarterly video conference call meet-ups
- Mandatory end-of-year capstone event in Atlanta, April 19-21, 2020
- Exposure to a non-profit organization via small group activity
Through Chick-fil-A Fellows, students are challenged to think about leadership in a whole new way. Are you ready to meet fellow student leaders from across the country and learn how you can leave your own unique legacy on the world? Apply today.
We caught up with a Fellow from the class of 2019. Here’s what she had to say about her experience:
What has been the highlight of your Fellows experience so far?
At the kickoff event in July, we met author, travel enthusiast, and early contributor for the Chick-fil-A Fellows, Garrett Gravesen. Garrett is an awesome guy for many reasons; one of them being his ability to teach and his hunger to learn. He shared with us his experiences that called him to write his book, 10 Seconds of Insane Courage: How to Unlock Your Courage to Unleash Your Potential, which has shifted the dynamic of my entire life. Since completing the book just days after we were gifted with it, I mustered up 10 seconds of encourage to leave a toxic relationship, start my own business, try new things out of my comfort zone, and take major leaps of faith. I am proud to say, I do not regret a single decision.
How have you grown as a leader by being a Chick-fil-A Fellow?
I evolved my way of thinking. Servant leadership is leading by example, paying attention to detail, spreading kindness, teaching others, and most importantly, serving others. Essentially, that is a synopsis of what Matt Lingerfelt and the rest of the Chick-fil-A Fellows leadership team demonstrated to us Fellows. I feel so appreciative and undeserving at the same time! Because of their servant leadership, I have met people, done things, and went places I never thought I would have the opportunity to do on my own. It made me feel important and valued. With my other leadership endeavors, I aim to make others feel as full as I did by applying those same concepts.
What is one lesson that has stuck with you during your time as a Chick-fil-A Fellow so far?
Truett Cathy once said “Nearly every moment of every day, we have the opportunity to give something to someone else - our time, our love, our resources”; that is something I try to be intentional about: filling up my cup, so that I may pour into others. You never know what obstacles anyone may be hurdling their way through, so if we all held ourselves accountable to feel our feelings, pour into others, and always consider another perspective before committing to anything then you would be surprised at the progress we all can make. I reflect on this lesson daily, and it has transformed my life in every way possible.
Would you recommend the Chick-fil-A Fellows program to others?
I would recommend this program to anyone who is currently seeking personal development in their life. I have learned lessons about success, fear, faith, perseverance, strength, thankfulness, and service to others - all things I thought I fully understood. But there is no cap to growth.
*Before applying for the program please ensure you meet the following criteria and are able to commit to the specific program dates and commitments.
- Applicant must be 18 years or older as of July 1, 2019
- Applicant must be enrolled in an education program or University for the 2019-2020 school year
- The Chick-fil-A Fellows class of 2020 runs July 2019 through April 2020. By applying for the program, the applicant is committing their availability and participation in the following:
- Attend the kickoff event in Atlanta, GA on July 21 – 24, 2019 (all expenses covered)
- Watch and respond to assignments with monthly video curriculum on leadership development from August 2019-April 2020
- Attend four quarterly digital meet-ups with entire Chick-fil-A Fellows class (dates and times for the quarterly meet ups will be offered at a later time once applicants are enrolled)
- Engage every 4-6 weeks with an assigned Chick-fil-A mentor
- Engage with a small group of Fellows to collectively work on a need for an assigned non-profit organization – 15 hours total during the school year
The Chick-fil-A Fellows Program offers a unique development opportunity with all program expenses, including travel and airfare, covered by the Chick-fil-A Foundation.